I know I owe all of you another life-update but before I detail the Greene’s busy spring schedule I thought I’d share my second oatmeal muffin remix recipe. If you don’t know what I am talking about originally I made Cinnamon Oatmeal Apple Muffins this past fall and they were a delicious healthy hit. Since then I have also done a remix with pumpkin (Muffin Remix: Cinnamon Oatmeal Pumpkin) which also tasted wonderful. So yesterday I decided to take the left-over carrots in my fridge and remix this fall muffin recipe for spring. Here’s the result: my healthy whole wheat oatmeal carrots muffins:
1-1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 C shredded carrots
1 C 1/% milk
3/4 C brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1 C applesauce
Note: You can substitute 1 egg white and ½ C milk for 1 C applesauce. Be aware this will cut down on the sweetness of your muffins si you may want to add more brown sugar or a little honey to your taste of sweetness Instructions:
1. Soak the oats in milk for an hour and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel and shred carrots: about 4 -5 carrots makes 1 cup
3. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray or line with butter
4. After the hour, combine the soaked oat mixture with the applesauce, milk, and egg whites, and shredded carrots and mix until combined.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients together.
6. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined.
7.Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan about 2 spoonfuls about 3/4’s full per cup/muffin
8. Combine a little cinnamon and sugar (or brown sugar) and top each muffin with a small sprinkling of the mixture.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done; muffins are done if a toothpick comes out clean the tops of the muffins should be a little firm.
These muffins are great for breakfast and can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for a quick breakfast.
Number of Servings: 18-22
Calories: 102 each (with applesauce)
Do you like carrot cake? What is your favorite seasonal spring treat?