As I wrote last week I decided to do cookies for valentines day this year for our weekend guests and for Luke’s work and my students. This year I made two new types of cookies from changes to previous cookie recipes.
The base for these cookies came from my baker’s chocolate sugar cookies. I did a white chocolate baker’s chocolate here then bought a large bag of Hershey’s hugs and kisses to center the cookies. To add to the Valentines theme I bought heart shaped sprinkles to add color to the cookies. They are perfect bite-size cookies full of chocolate flavor.
White chocolate Bakers cookies with hugs and kisses
Makes about 3/4 dozen
3 squares white chocolate Baker’s unsweetened chocolate (old style) or new style=12 baker’s pieces
1 cup butter –only use butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
Hershey hugs or kisses candy pieces for each cookie
1. Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwavable bowl on HIGH 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
Or if you do not have a microwave then use a double boiler and heat on medium. Be careful with white chocolate as it can easily burn if not keep it at a lower temperature while melting.
2. While the chocolate melts in a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, sugar and salt.
3. Let the white chocolate mixture cool at little, especially if you have it on the stove top then pour it into your bowl with the dry ingredients.
4. Stir in egg and vanilla until completely blended.
5. Refrigerate 15 minutes stir and put back in for another 15 minutes
6. Heat oven to 325 F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls or smaller based on your preference of chocolate to the cookie ratio.
7. Put decorating sprinkles in a bowl and roll the top of the dough ball the sprinkles.
8.Place, 2-inches apart, on greased cookie sheets.
9. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set.
10. Give the cookies 2 minutes to cool then place the hugs/kisses in the center of each.
Note: the hugs melt easier then the kisses you can help set the candy by sticking the cookies in the fridge for a few minutes.
Not only do they look great but are a wonderful Valentines treat!