Did you know that store bought rice cereal treats have malt or barley in the them? Which is a problem for me. To learn more about this see why I’m barley free.
Rice cereals should be gluten free but many unfortunately are not. So I decided to make healthier gluten free cereal treats at home.
Aldi’s has recently made new gluten free cereals so I combined two different types: brown rice and flax with chia.
Also to change things up I added dried apricots, blueberries, and cherries and white chocolate chips.
Here’s my recipe for Gluten Free Cereal Treats
1. 2 boxes of your choice of gluten free cereal; 9-10 oz. each or about 6-8 cups total
Note: make sure the cereal you buy is small and crunchy/hard in texture
2. 5-6 oz or about 2 cups of dried apricot
3. 5-6 oz or about 2 cups of dried blueberries/cherries or your choice of dried fruit
4. 1 1/2 -2 cups of while chocolate chips; depending how sweet you want it
Note: you can make this healthier by using yogurt chips
5. 2-3 cups mini marshmallows
6. 2 tsp salt
7. 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup butter
Note: you can exchange the butter for coconut oil for a healthier dessert
1. Chop apricots, blueberries, and cherries
2. Put dried fruit, cereal, and white chips into a large mixing bowl
3. Grease two 9×11 pans
4. Heat butter in a small pot on low
5. Once the butter has softened add the marshmallows and salt
6. Watch the marshmallow mixture on low and fold the butter/mallows together slowly with a spatula
7. Once the marshmallow mixture is completely melted pour into the cereal mixture
8. Mix with hand mixer or I used my kitchen aid mixer
9. Once mixed, quickly place in pans, it is easiest to press down the gooey mix with greased hands or the back end of a large and wide spatula
10. Give the rice cereal treats time to cool in the fridge, once cool you can cut them into squares. Store the squares in a closed container in the fridge.
My husband, who is not a huge fan of marshmallows thought these were much better then store bought or traditional rice cereal treats.
These were a perfect camping trip treat and easy summer snack boost.